Can A Family Law Attorney Ask To Reduce Child Support Payments?

20 July 2022
 Categories: Law, Blog


In your opinion, how much child support do you have to pay? The amount of child support you pay or get may be affected by factors such as your yearly income, the number of children you have, and whether one or both parents work. It doesn't matter what your current financial situation is, you can't lower your payments however you want, but only through a court with the aid of a family law attorney. What could be your justifications for making the request?

1. Co-Parent's Finances Have Improved 

If your co-parent's financial situation has changed for the better since you last negotiated child support, your attorney may ask the court to lower your payments. This is because the original child support agreement was based on your co-parent's income at the time.

But if their income has increased, they can probably afford to take on larger financial responsibilities. A family attorney can show evidence of this improvement to convince the court.

2. Your Current Financial Situation Dramatically Shifts

If your income has fallen considerably after the court's judgments, you may be able to get a reduction in your child support obligation. This is due to the fact that the court sets the amount of your monthly payments based on your income. Employees who are no longer eligible for benefits can seek a reduction in payments.

3. You're Doing More Than a Fair Share of Non-Monetary Support

You may be ordered to pay child support, but that doesn't mean your parenting responsibilities end there. In fact, courts often encourage both parents to be actively involved in their children's lives. When you handle a larger share of non-monetary support like housework or childcare, a family law attorney may ask the court to lower child support payments.

4. There Are Extenuating Circumstances

There are a variety of things that might impact the capacity to pay child support significantly. You have the right to petition for a reduction in your child support payments, for instance, if you have a temporary condition that prevents you from working. You may be qualified to receive disability insurance benefits as well as food stamps; nevertheless, you can demonstrate that these benefits are insufficient to enable you to pay child support payments.

After a divorce or separation, it is impossible to avoid the responsibility of caring for one's children in any way. On the other hand, you have the ability to use legal channels to request payments that are less burdensome.

Contact a family law attorney to examine the reasons for asking for adjusting payments.