Landlord Negligence: Is Your Condition Worth A Settlement?

29 January 2015
 Categories: , Blog


If you have any injury or medical condition that was caused by a negligent landlord, you want to call a personal injury attorney. There are many obligations that rental property owners are obliged by law to obey, to ensure that the property is safe for tenants. If you are dealing with any of the following problems, get help.

Asbestos, Lead or Radon Exposure

If you were living in an area where you were exposed asbestos or lead, you could have a variety of health problems as a result. You could end up with mesothelioma, asbestosis or lung cancer because of the asbestos, or infertility, organ failure and more from lead. Radon is a naturally occurring gas that occurs when soil and sediment decomposes, and exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America. If you are faced with any of these issues because of negligent property care, you can demand a settlement.

Slip and Fall Accidents

A broken bone or injured neck caused by a slip and a fall could lead to a settlement.  A landlord that didn't have salt put on icy sidewalks, or had a gutter pouring water on a slippery surface is negligent. If you have thousands of dollars in medical debt and you have a condition that is going to last for a lifetime, you deserve to be compensated for it.

Mold Exposure

Is there someone in the house dealing with allergy and asthma problems or a serious illness because of mold problems in the home? Is there a leaking pipe, old roof, or another problem within the home that is allowing moisture into the space? Evidence of these problems will help show you were living in poor conditions, and that your health suffered because of it.

Your lawyer will need to test the property, or they may need to get a court order to have the property inspected by the experts. Once you have the property inspected and you have the evidence you need, you can get compensation for any time you've missed from work, your medical bills, the cost for new living expenses and more.

A personal injury lawyer from a firm like Putnam Lieb specializes in working with cases just like this, and they are going to work fast to get the case moving. They can try to settle with the landlord out of court if the landlord is willing to participate. Don't spend another day dealing with landlord negligence, and take legal action.